Wednesday 15 May 2013

Lens review: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L


Today I will be reviewing my Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L macro lens! I'm very happy with this purchase because I've been needing a macro quite badly - another prime lens to add to my collection. 



Filter size: 67mm
Size: 77.7mm and 123.0mm (diameter) long
Weight: 623.3g (without hood), 706.9g (with hood)


Most of these were shot on f/3.2 and the bokeh is absolutely beautiful. I could get so much closer and still get so much more detail in things that I've been trying to do with my 50mm but just couldn't get! 


What bugged me about this lens was the long, narrow installed hood that made it very difficult for me to access the lens cap. Adjusting a circular polarizer inside the hood is almost impossible, as your hand completely blocks off the light. However, because of its shape, the lens hood is very protective and useful for this lens. Especially at short macros subject working distances - though the lens hood is easy to bump or scare the subject at these short distances.



100mm on f/2.8 ISO500, Canon 7D (APS-C crop sensor)

100mm on f/2.8 ISO100, Canon 6D (CMOS full frame sensor)




100mm on f/3.2, Canon 7D 



Macro's aren't limited to extreme close-ups -  it also can make a great portrait lens. 

Overall, this particular lens is amazing. The IS works as it's expected to, and the weight is a lot lighter than you'd expect.

Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment